Pruning Honeysuckle - Knowledgebase Question

Zoutleeuw, IN
Question by aankoop
I've got a honeysuckle "Lonicera Japonica Hall's prolific" for about 3 years now. It has grown and flowered very well, but I spotted a lot of dead wood in it. Can I prune a honeysuckle and how do I have to do it without killing the plant ? It'd be a pity if the plant wouldn't survive it.

0

This particular plant (Lonicera japonica) is so sturdy I doubt you could harm it by pruning, and certainly you will do it no harm by removing wood that is already dead. Prune as hard as is necessary in late winter, then be sure the vine receives adequate water and fertilizer the following season. It may surprise you and come back more vigorously than ever!