Winter Protection for Perennials - Knowledgebase Question

Brooklyn, NY
Question by masha
I am confused about winter protection of alpine strawberries, and perennials in general. Should I put a mulch on them? After or before the ground freezes? Should I water them through the fall, or let them dry out?

0

newly emerging shoots if a hard freeze threatens that night -- but be sure to remove it promptly so the shoots can reach the light. Eventually it will all be moved aside and added to the mulch layer as part of the general spring cleanup.

With a little observation and experience, you will begin to see how the plants accommodate the seasonal changes. Enjoy your garden! newly emerging shoots if a hard freeze threatens that night -- but be sure to remove it promptly so the shoots can reach the light. Eventually it will all be moved aside and added to the mulch layer as part of the general spring cleanup.

With a little observation and experience, you will begin to see how the plants accommodate the seasonal changes. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"