Spurge in the Lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Scottsbluff, NE
Question by NANRMARR
I have the weed called spurge infesting my lawn. I purchased some spurge killer that I applied in March and again in June if the infestation was bad. It worked but I don't know what I used last year. I went back to the store where I had purchased it and they didn't know either. This year, the spurge is back with vengence! What would you recommend? I understand this is an annual, correct? And it dies with freezing, correct? Or do I need to put a weed killer on it this fall and again next spring? What do you recommend doing? I've pulled and pulled but I can't get under control this year. Thanks for all you suggestions. Nancy Marr

0

You're right, spurge is an annual that dies at hard frost, but it spread a LOT of weeds before it gets buried in snow. Spurge grows especially well in midsummer, when your grass is stressed by heat and dry weather, and can't compete. I suggest that you use a corn gluten based herbicide called WithOut Weeds, sold by Gardens Alive (ph# 812/537-8650, or write to 5100 Scheneley Place, Lawrenceville, IN 47025). Corn gluten produces some kind of enzyme that kills sprouting seeds. It also contains 10% nitrogen, so it feeds your lawn, too. I hope this does the trick for you!