Tomato Leaves Poisonous - Knowledgebase Question

Brooklyn, NY
Avatar for Ygru
Question by Ygru
August 30, 1999
Are the leaves of tomatoes Poisonous to children and pets?
If no, Thanks God. If yes, what might happen when a child eats it and what should we do?

Answer from NGA
August 30, 1999
According to the Central PA Poison Center, tomato plants are not poisonous to children. If ever you have a question about a possible poisoning, please call your local poison control number right away! They are open 24 hours. They can tell you immediately if there is something to worry about and what to do.

Please teach children not to eat ANYplant unless an adult says it's okay. Many common plants are poisonous -- and even if the plant is a vegetable and it is not poisonous in and of itself it may have been sprayed with something that is poisonous. You just never know.

With regard to plants poisonous to animals, you may find this Cornell University site helpful but again, vigilance and a call to the veterinarian are very important.

I'm so glad it was okay this time.

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by Visual_Botanics and is called "Orange Belted Bumblebee"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.