Old Fashioned Sweet Corn Taste - Knowledgebase Question

Fairport, NY
Avatar for clasprez
Question by clasprez
I buy all my sweet corn from local farmers. None of it has the corny taste of varities available years ago. Why? Are there any varities that I could grow to achieve that corny taste?

It may be that your local growers are growing the so-called "supersweet" varieties so popular today. You might try some of the older tried and true or heirloom varieties and see if you prefer them. These would include varieties such as Golden Bantam which is known for its old fashioned flavor or Stowell's Evergreen which was one of the most popular ever. The Burpee "heirlooms" catalog includes varieties such as these and can be ordered by calling Burpee at 1-800-888-1447. Bon appetit!

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by Murky and is called "Cuphea and Petunias"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.