Potatoes In Bloom - Knowledgebase Question

Ogden, UT
Question by ewa8869258
This is my first garden in over 20 years and I decided to try to grow potatoes for the first time. I have vines and leaves all over the place. I did "hill" as much as I could, but as yet I have no blooms on the potatoes. Should I dig up one of the vines to see if I am getting potatoes, or just leave them alone and hope for the best?

0

Potato plants don't always bloom, so don't be too concerned about the lack of blossoms. If the foliage looks healthy and you've supplied adequate moisture and fertilizer, your plants are probably growing as they should. Blooms on the plants usually indicate that tubers are beginning to form and some small "new" potatoes can be harvested. Non-blooming plants should still develop tubers. Wait until the tops yellow and die back naturally, then harvest your spuds. Hope it's a bumper crop!