Fall Blooming Apple Tree - Knowledgebase Question

San Diego, CA
Question by lturner8
I planted a Golden Delicious apple tree in the spring and it is blooming in September. It did bloom in the spring but did not bear fruit. Should I stop the fall bloom and, if so, how?

0

Plants, just like people, sometimes get a little mixed up. Your new tree is in such a hurry to please that it's blooming prematurely. If it were a child, we'd call it precocious! Don't try to stop the tree from blooming. A few off-season blooms won't hurt the tree.

Growing apples in San Diego may be problematic. Apples need a pronounced winter chill to produce best and your gardening region may not provide enough chill for most apple cultivars. Golden Delicious is adaptable, however, and may bear fruit once it's established. Apples need a pollinator, so you'll need to plant a second tree to ensure an apple crop. 'Gordon' is another low-chill tree and will pollinate your Golden Delicious.

Hope you have a bountiful harvest!