Red Foliaged Plants - Knowledgebase Question

Anaheim, CA
Question by vicgarten
Has anyone ever compiled a list of known red/violet foliage plants; not plants that turn red in the fall but red foliage only plants. Many plant species have a red variety. I would like to know where I could obtain this. To your knowledge has anyone ever planted a red only foliage garden at a botanical garden or private garden in the world?

0

I've seen several theme gardens, and one contained only plants with red, purple or bronze colored leaves. It was quite striking. There are two references that will help you compile a list of plants which will grow well in your gardening zone: Right Plant, Right Place by Nicola Ferguson, published by Summit Books, ISBN #0-671-52396-1, and Taylor's Guide to Garden Design, published by Houghton Mifflin Company, ISBN #0-395-46784-5. Both books have listings of red only foliage, among other themes.

Hope the above helps. You might try to visit Brooklyn Botanic Gardens for a few ideas about theme gardens.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"