Gerbera Daisy - Knowledgebase Question

Traverse City, MI
Question by LtlCrsyGrl
My Gerbera daisies grew quite successfully this year. Some I purchased already in bloom and one actually bloomed from seeds that I had planted in March. Is it possible to bring these plants indoors, have them bloom and then transplant them next year outside?

0

Gerbera daisies are native to South Africa where they are perennial plants. They grow from a root crown that spreads slowly to form big clumps. To propagate, the clumps of crowns are lifted and divided. You can try to divide the crown if it's large enough, or you can pot the crown up and grow it indoors all winter. In the spring new shoots will develop and you can divide the crown, leaving 2-3 buds or shoots on each division. Your divisions can be potted up for indoor or greenhouse plants, or grown outdoors beginning in April or May.