Sunflowers Wilted in Flower Arrangement - Knowledgebase Question

Rohrersville, MD
Question by LanaRand
I did a fresh arrangement of sunflowers and placed them on my patio and within hours the arrangement had wilted. Is there a special treatment when using sunflowers as fresh cut flowers?

0

Sunflowers usually make great cut flower arrangements. Were your flowers in direct sun on your patio? Once cut, flowers can't handle being in sun, prefering dispersed light, preferably in a cool location. Here are a few pointers for cut flower preservation.

1. Harvest just before the flower peaks.
2. Harvest in the morning, if possible.
3. Use a sharp tool to make a clean, slanted cut.
4. Keep flowers in a cool area, but not in drafts.
5. Use a floral preservative, or make your own with 1 pint of regular 7-Up or Sprite (not diet) mixed with an equal volume of water with a teaspoon of household bleach, OR 1 quart of water with 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon or lime juice, 1 tablespoon of sugar and one tablespoon of household bleach.
6. Use warm water in the vase.

I hope this info helps!