Rock Rose - Knowledgebase Question

Sandpoint, ID
Question by r2d20
I bought a bedding plant that the gardener called "rock roses". I would like to know what to do with them to survive the winter. I do not know them by any other name. They are small and look like roses. The stems are light green.

0

The common name rock rose usually translates to Helianthemum nummalarium, a low-growing perennial plant with a short bloom period (late spring to early summer). It's used as a groundcover, in a rock garden, or tumbling over a rock wall. Rock rose grows well on dry, sunny slopes and tolerates heat and drought. It thrives in well-draining sandy soils, performing poorly in rich, loamy soils. Prune the plants back after flowering and mulch over the crowns of the plants to provide winter protection.