Tuberous Begonias in Desert - Knowledgebase Question

Phoenix, AZ
Question by CharSelby
I live in Phoenix, Az. Can I grow tuberous begonias here and at what time of year?

0

Unfortunately, tuberous begonias don't do well in the low desert. They prefer a cooler, shadier, more moist environment that we can typically provide for them, and become stressed. Research shows that stressed plants are more likely to attract insect and disease problems, so it would be better to choose another type of plant. (However, tuberous begonias do show up in the stores sometimes as flowering houseplants. You might enjoy them that way.) Now that cooler weather is approaching, the nurseries are loading up with plants for the fall season. Check out some of the full-service nurseries to see what else catches your eye. Good luck!