Flower Identification - Knowledgebase Question

Seattle, WA
Question by mjarnold
I am trying to identify a flower that I saw in a bouquet that a friend of mine received. It was variegated purple & white, looked kind of like a cross between a wild rose & maybe a shirley poppy, or something like that. She called the florist, they told her that it was called "livanthius" and it came in white, purple, and variegated. I can find no reference to it anywhere, and would like to know if I can grow it. It was beautiful! Help?!?

0

The flower you describe might be Lisianthus (Eustoma grandiflorum), also called Prarie Gentian. It's a biennial or short-lived perennial, performing best where summers are hot. Place your plant in a sunny spot, in moist, well-draining soil. Pinch out young stems to increase flower production, and try to keep water off the foliage and blossoms.

Just to make sure we're talking about the same plant, there's a picture of a new pink strain on the following website: http://www.xenios.com/

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"