Amaryllis bulb increases - Knowledgebase Question

Madison, WI
Question by vanh
I have raised a dozen amaryllis seedlings for three years now--I plant them in decent topsoil, treat them with Osmocote slow-release all-purpose fertilizer when I plant, and leave them until fall, when I lift and store them in the basement. One or two bloomed this summer, and all are increasing in size nicely. My question is how to prevent the amaryllis bulb from producing offspring, and put its energy into getting more flowers in the bulb? I have enough amaryllis bulbs, and one or two I dug this fall increased by 5 bulbs!

0

Unfortunately I don't know of a way to specifically limit the number of offsets. In my experience some varieties seem to form more offsets than others. I have also noticed that the bulbs left somewhat potbound in containers seem to form fewer of them. You might try experimenting with that. Good luck with your amaryllis!