Spider Plant Cleome Seeds - Knowledgebase Question

Colona, IL
Question by Angelacarter
My neighbor gave me a start of a celome plant, also called spider plant. How are these propagated? Is it the seeds that develop in the swaying projections on the stalk that are scattered as they dry and fall or do they have to
be transplanted from the root? And are they hearty to Illinois?

0

Cleome should grow well for you in Illinois. This plant is an annual, meaning it must be started anew from seeds each year. The seed pods are indeed on the ends of the wispy projections along the stalks. The plants should self-sow in place if allowed to set seed and then it scatters naturally in the vicinity -- they tend to germinate a bit late in the season when the soil has warmed so don't be too impatient. With luck they will come up so thickly that you need to thin them in the spring. You can also transplant small seedlings then. Finally, you could also save some of the seeds and plant them yourself next spring if you want them in another place. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"