Palm-like Plant - Knowledgebase Question

Milwaukee, WI
Question by pkthomas6
I received a palm-like plant from a friend. I have no idea what kind it is, what it is called, if it is an indoor or outdoor plant, or how to care for it. It has long thin leaves that are pink with a light green stripe down the center. (Similar to a spider plant in a palm plant form) Could you please give me some information on this sort of plant before I accidentally kill it with the incorrect lighting or water?

0

If your plant has a narrow stem type trunk and long leaves, I'll guess it's Dracaena marginata Colorama. The Dracaena group includes the Hawaiian TI plant, and all dracaenas have a woody, leafless trunk with a tuft of foliage at the top. These plants like warmth and humidity, so keep yours t indoors during the winter months. To help it thrive, provide average household warmth (minimum 55F in winter), bright light (east or west facing window), and keep the potting soil moist during the growing season. Mist the leaves regularly to provide needed humidity, and feed monthly during spring and summer with a diluted liquid fertilizer.