Annual Or Perennial? - Knowledgebase Question

Danbury, NH
Question by scwhitman
I have a flowering plant outside in a pot, whose tag reads, "Figaro, Dahlia." I would like to know if it is an annual or perennial, whether or not I should plant it in the ground before winter? Will it come back next year?

0

Your little dahlia will lose it's leaves after a frost. You can cut the stem down to soil level after this happens, then lift the tuberous roots, and store over the winter months. Keep the roots in a cool, dark place, in sawdust or peatmoss. In the spring new little buds will appear. You can plant the entire rootmass or divide the tubers, making sure each division has a bud. This bud will become the stem of the new plant.