Hybrid vs. Non-hybrid Seeds - Knowledgebase Question

Crystal, MN
Question by BMWROW
I had many celosia that came up from seed from the previous year. None of the flowers resembled anything from the previous year. What caused this and what am I likely to get from any seeds that germinate from this year's crop?

0

It sounds as if your celosia reseeded from a hybrid. Hybrids are made from crossing two different plants, but seeds from hybrids do not grow true to the parent plant. Hybrid plants are usually marked as such on seed packets and catalog descriptions. As to what you'll get this year: if you planted hybrids again, there's no way to determine; if they were not hybrids, seeds should come true to the parent plant. I hope this info helps!