Tulips Starting To Grow In The Fall - Knowledgebase Question

Boulder, CO
Question by jenniferbot
I planted some tulips in early September and notice them starting to grow. Will they be fine for spring? Should I be doing something?

0

Sometimes bulbs actually sprout and we then get a hard frost or snow. It doesn't seem to bother them at all. Tulips are very cold tolerant and snow is a good insulator. Another possibility is that they were planted too shallowly. Ideally, they need to be set deep enough that there is about 6 inches of soil on top of the bulb. You might try covering them with mulch to give them a bit more insulation during the colder months. When the weather turns cold they should stop growing until it warms up again next spring. Good luck!