Tender Bulbs - Knowledgebase Question

N. Tonawanda, NY
Question by rscsmc782
I live in Western New York State. I planted a lot of tender bulbs in pots this year. Can I bring in the whole pot and store them over winter or do I have to dig the bulbs out of the pot and store the bulbs? If I can leave them in the pot, do I need to water them? Would I leave them in a cool, dark basement?

0

You could bring in the pots and allow them to rest, however you will probably need to renew the soil next spring so in some ways it makes sense to unpot them now. This way you can also examine them more easily during the storage period to make sure they are okay, it takes less room and you will not bring any insects into the house along with the soil. These bulbs are stored either loose and dry or in barely damp peat moss or sand, so the specifics will depend on which bulbs you have. Some rpefer a cooler temperature and some a warmer temperature but in general a range of 40 to 45 should be okay.