Hebe - New Zealand Fire Plant - Knowledgebase Question

Springfield, MO
Question by msr5245
I purchased a plant The tag says New Zealand Fire Plant and it also has the word hebe on it. I would like to know what it is and if it is dangerous around small children. The leaves are kinda waxy simalar to a succulent, but on long stems. The leaves are green and a very pale yellowish white color, it had blooms on it when I purchased of bright purple. The blooms came up on a stock in clusters. I is a very beatifull plant but I wanted to be sure of the safty of having it. If you need more information about plant from me please let me know. I am trying to set up a catalog file of what I have so I will know and also if someone is watching my children they will be able to find out quickly if there is a concern about a plant. Thank you for any help you can give.

0

It sounds like you may have the plant Hebe speciosa (or related cultivars), which is frequently grown as a greenhouse plant or houseplant. The references I consulted did not mention any particular toxicity, though that doesn't necessarily mean the plant isn't harmful if ingested.

Upon searching the web, I came across the site for The Hebe Society -- The Society for Hebes and Other Native Plants of New Zealand
http://www.gwynfryn.demon.co.u...

You might contact them and see if they have further information.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"