Winter And Hibiscus - Knowledgebase Question

W. Blocton, AL
Question by charliwolf2
What can I do in order to winter over a tropical hibiscus in my yard? I can?t dig it up and bring it in. Our central Alabama winters are not usually very harsh, but we do have a few weeks of sub-freezing weather. I've been told to trim it back and mulch it deeply. Will it hurt it if I trim it now?

0

Trimming won't hurt it. The deep mulch will help protect the base of the plant so that even if the top freezes there is a chance the roots and lower trunk will survive to resprout.

A better insurance policy is to cover the plant and provide a source of heat on a cold winter night. A string of outdoor Christmas lights or a couple of indoor light bulbs is often enough heat to make the difference underneath the cover. Just take the necessary precautions to prevent a fire hazard or a short if the weather should turn wet.

Good luck with your hibiscus!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"