Brown Garlic Cloves - Knowledgebase Question

Lambertville, NJ
Question by caturbanski
November 6, 1999
Hello-
I have searched your library, but have not found an answer to my question.
For many years I have planted your German white stiffneck garlic: it has been wonderful and has stored beautifully for many months. This year the cloves were gorgeous when first picked, but are now brown and pulled away from the skin. What did I do wrong? They are usually cured at a warm temperature for several weeks, then hung in a mesh type basket. I basically lost my entire crop and do not want to do this again.

November 6, 1999

0

It sounds like you did everything right and certainly you have done this successfully before so I suspect something unusual happened, perhaps without your knowing it. For instance, we had an unusually dry summer here which may have affected the garlic quality prior to harvest. Another possibility is that the garlic was harvested too early causing it to darken and shrivel, or that it was stored too warm which would cause it to dry out. I'm sorry about your garlic.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"