Planting Fruit Trees in the Desert - Knowledgebase Question

Yuma, AZ
Question by Ldyrange57
November 10, 1999
I would like to know what is the appropiate method of planting young fruit trees. Should I add something to the soil when planting the trees to help hold moisture? And when is it a good time to transplant?

November 10, 1999

0

sprinklings do more harm than good. To determine how far water has penetrated, poke a soil probe (any long metal rod or screwdriver) into the soil. It will move easily through moist soil, stopping abruptly where soil is dry. As trees mature, expand the watering zone somewhat beyond the tree's canopy (or dripline), which is where roots are actively growing. sprinklings do more harm than good. To determine how far water has penetrated, poke a soil probe (any long metal rod or screwdriver) into the soil. It will move easily through moist soil, stopping abruptly where soil is dry. As trees mature, expand the watering zone somewhat beyond the tree's canopy (or dripline), which is where roots are actively growing.