Determining The Sex Of A Papaya Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Valrico, FL
Question by LSRichey
November 13, 1999
How early in the life of a papaya tree can you tell if it is a female or hermaphrodite that will produce fruit? I have several plants started from seeds. My real dilemma is that, once I grow a plant, I can't bring myself to discard or destroy it! At this rate, pretty soon, I'll be over run with papaya trees! Help!

November 13, 1999

0

from bisexual flowers give an equal number of female and bisexual progeny, 3) bisexual flowers either self-pollinated or crossed-pollinated with other bisexuals give a ratio of one female to 2 bisexual, 4) bisexual flowers pollinated by staminate ones produce equal numbers of female, male and bisexual progeny. It is evident that the second and third combinations will produce the maximum number of fruit-bearing plants.

Thanks for visiting our web site. Please stop in anytime you have a gardening question. We?re happy to help! from bisexual flowers give an equal number of female and bisexual progeny, 3) bisexual flowers either self-pollinated or crossed-pollinated with other bisexuals give a ratio of one female to 2 bisexual, 4) bisexual flowers pollinated by staminate ones produce equal numbers of female, male and bisexual progeny. It is evident that the second and third combinations will produce the maximum number of fruit-bearing plants.

Thanks for visiting our web site. Please stop in anytime you have a gardening question. We?re happy to help!