Transplanting Lilac - Knowledgebase Question

Corning, CA
Question by rjjohnson1
November 14, 1999
My sister has lilac starts. She lives in cold eastern Oregon, I live in northern California, and the weather here is still 70 degrees. Should I keep starts inside until spring or should I plant them now. It is late fall!

November 14, 1999

0

Lilac's are cold tolerant and they bloom best when they're subjected to a pronounced winter chill. Plant your lilac starts now, providing a sunny spot with well-draining soil. They'll be just fine over the winter and will produce new foliage in the spring. Don't expect your lilac's to bloom for 5-7 years after transplanting, though. They need time to mature before they can produce their lovely, fragrant blossoms!