Shipping Houseplants From Ny To California Due To Relocations - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Grace J Errea
Poughkeepsie, NY
Avatar for errea
Question by errea
November 18, 1999
I will be moving from NY to CA shortly and would like some help and/or advise on how or through whom can I get a couple of my large plants shipped to the new home.

The plants I want to take with me are rather large (for example a 4 ft by 24 inch ponytail palm, or a 12 inch golden globe cactus). All these are succulents and/or cacti therefore they can to without water for a long time.
Do you have a suggestion? PLEASE?

Answer from NGA
November 18, 1999
First I would caution you that there may be restrictions on bringing plants into the state of California -- many nurseries do not ship there because of that -- so you might need to check that out ahead of time. To be honest, the biggest problem I can think of is that a commercial truck (or plane) will be too cold to transport them safely during the winter months. You might be able to have them crated in insulated packaging and then sent along with your household goods by a household moving company or possibly a freight forwarder; some courier companies will arrange very special transit including meeting a package at an airport and ensuring it is handled correctly or even accompanying a shipment, but this is pretty expensive. An alternative might be to find an individual who would be willing to drive them cross country in a heated van or RV -- this sounds like something some college students might be willing to do over the holidays to subsidize a trip home. I hope this gives you some ideas.

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )