Triming Roses - Knowledgebase Question

Canyon Country, CA
Question by jendako
November 25, 1999
Our nights in Canyon Country are now cold but the days are still hot, when is the best time for me to trim roses?

November 25, 1999

0

Rosarians I know recommend a major pruning when the plant is dormant in late winter to ready it for peak bloom in spring. Different rose types require different types of pruning, but typically it's best not to cut more than 1/3 of the plant back at a time. Then a light pruning follows in September, which can promote more bloom. The book, "Roses for Dummies" can provide more specifics on pruning. Also, check for rose societies/garden clubs in your area. They often give pruning demonstrations which are very helpful to observe if you've never done it before. The American Rose Society, PO Box 30,000, Shreveport, LA, 71130-0030, 318/938 5402, 318/938-5405 fax. can help you locate a club.