Brugmansia or Datura Winter Care - Knowledgebase Question

Alliston, ON
Question by celawrence
November 26, 1999
Brugmansia can be placed in or out of doors but
loses leaves with each change. Why? How do I winter this beautiful plant?

November 26, 1999

0

Many plants will drop leaves when moved between indoor and outdoor locations. It's a shock to their system because the environment is usually quite different (even if we don't feel it, they do!). If possible, slowly adapt plants to their new locations for a couple hours each day, gradually increasing the time.

Most brugmansia, also called datura, are not adapted to cold weather. If they survive, they will experience frost damage. I assume yours is in a pot so I suggest bringing it indoors. Keep it in a bright location. Fertilize lightly once a month. Let soil just barely dry out between waterings. Gradually acclimate it for brief periods to move it back outdoors next spring. Good luck! NOTE: Flowers and seeds of brugmansia are poisonous if eaten.