Pruning Clematis Jackmanii - Knowledgebase Question

Oakland, CA
Question by kameichi
November 29, 1999
I purchased a Jackmanii variety of Clematis this year. It grew well and produced a nice quantity of blooms for me. I understand that this species only blooms on the current year growth (vine) and needs to be cut back. How far back do you suggest I trim the vine? It is planted in a 24" terra cotta planter with an 8' high trellis along the wall. I would like to keep the vine confined to this 8 foot height and 2 foot width for the coming season. Thanks for the help.

November 29, 1999

0

Clematis in the Jackman group of hybrids (such as jackmanii) bloom on new growth (wood grown in the same year). Prune your clematis in the spring, just as the buds swell or slightly before. You can prune to within 4-6" of the base if you wish, and the plant will produce lots of new twining growth during the spring.