Moles - Knowledgebase Question

Alpine, CA
Question by amber5
November 29, 1999
Moles are ruining my flower beds, with their tunnels and holes. I have tried traps, poison and out right digging their tunnels up. I'm at my wits end. The darn things have their tunnels up under my rock wall, and when I watered my flowers the water ran down their tunnel and washed half of the bank away. Thank you for any suggestions.

November 29, 1999

0

There are many ways to try to get rid of moles. Moles feed on grubs and earthworms living in your lawn or garden. The damage they do is to plant roots while they are tunneling. Your first consideration should be to control the grub population in your lawn with beneficial nematodes or milky spore powder, both of which are spread on the lawn. Another tactic is to flush the tunnels with water (best done in the spring), or protect your garden by burying a fencing of small mesh, tightly woven hardware cloth. You could also try trapping them live in a Havahart trap.

Moles hate the smell of castor oil beans, and Gardener's Supply has a repellent containing castor oil. The company also carries a Mole Chaser that creates underground vibrations that deter the critters. You can reach them at 1-800-863-1700 or visit their website at www.gardeners.com.

Good luck.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"