Will Seedlings Planted From A Blooming Wisteria Eventually Bloom, And How Long Will It Take, On Aver - Knowledgebase Question

Woodstock, NY
Question by rsimon
December 11, 1999
Will seedlings started from the seed of a heavily blooming wisteria eventually bloom? I've read your responses to other inquiries about non-blooming wisterias. You mention that seedlings of a non-grafted variety may take 20 years. Would you please explain what 'grafted' means in this case. I would like to know if starting these seeds to grow into plants is a waste of my time.

December 11, 1999

0

Seedlings, meaning plants grown from seed, can indeed take twenty years to come into bloom. Grafted plants, meaning a top piece taken from a blooming age plant is attached and grown onto a rooted piece of another wisteria vine, will bloom much sooner than that, but may still take a few years to become established and bloom well. I suppose it depends how much time you have, whether or not you would consider it a waste.