Yellowing Daylily Leaves - Knowledgebase Question

Marietta, GA
Question by WJHoss
December 15, 1999
I have about 10 daylily plants in a border along my front porch. Recently their leaves have yellowed dramatically, almost overnight, and in large bunches. There is new, green growth visible in most, and one lone plant is still producing a bloom. Are they dying, or is this the effect of some dramatic temperature changes we've had recently? What can I expect over the winter season?

December 15, 1999

0

The normal fall coloration for daylilies that lose their leaves is yellow. You may also see new shoots peeking out from the base. Daylilies may behave differently in fall and winter depending on what type they are. Some daylilies are considered deciduous and lose all of their current year's foliage in the fall when the temperatures dip. Some are semi-deciduous, and some are evergreen but these may also lose their foliage in cold winter areas. Basically, it sounds like what you are seeing is probably normal.