Flowers In Pots - Knowledgebase Question

LOS ANGELES, CA
Question by ditamelcher
December 19, 1999
I live in Southern California, and I am interested in flowers that will grow well in pots. I live in an apartment where flowers on my terrace will receive southern and eastern sun exposure. Can you please advise what flowers to choose for pots?

December 19, 1999

0

There are so many choices of flowers and herbs that are suitable for containers that you can have lots of fun trying different combinations. Lavender, basil, thyme, sage, dill, chives, lemon verbena, mint, oregano, rosemary, and parsley can be combined with flowers such as nasturtiums, violas, zinnias, portulaca, scaevola, geraniums, and dahlias. These herbs and flowers need full sun, which means at least 6 hours a day. Choose an all purpose potting soil that contains some humus (not just peat moss) and moisten the soil. If you are using clay pots, soak them in water prior to planting so they don't draw moisture out of the soil.