Screened Compost - Knowledgebase Question

Salem, OR
Question by rbray4
December 21, 1999
I have heard the term "screened compost" a number of times and have tried to look for it at Lawn & Garden stores with no luck. Is there such a thing? And if there is, is it screened fine enough that I would be able to use my Scotts drop spreader to spread the compost on my lawn?

Thanks for any help.

December 21, 1999

0

The term screened compost simply means that finished compost is run through a screen to remove large particles of organic matter. If you were doing this at home, you'd want to remove twigs and lumps of bark, returning them to the compost pile to finish decomposing. The size of the screened particles depends on the processing facility. Usually compost is run through a 1/4-inch screen, but I've seen some bagged compost that resembles sawdust. Ask at the store if you can see a sample of the bagged compost. Smaller particles will decompose faster (and may spread easier).

Hope this helps clarify things for you.