Screened Compost - Knowledgebase Question

Salem, OR
Avatar for rbray4
Question by rbray4
December 21, 1999
I have heard the term "screened compost" a number of times and have tried to look for it at Lawn & Garden stores with no luck. Is there such a thing? And if there is, is it screened fine enough that I would be able to use my Scotts drop spreader to spread the compost on my lawn?

Thanks for any help.

Answer from NGA
December 21, 1999
The term screened compost simply means that finished compost is run through a screen to remove large particles of organic matter. If you were doing this at home, you'd want to remove twigs and lumps of bark, returning them to the compost pile to finish decomposing. The size of the screened particles depends on the processing facility. Usually compost is run through a 1/4-inch screen, but I've seen some bagged compost that resembles sawdust. Ask at the store if you can see a sample of the bagged compost. Smaller particles will decompose faster (and may spread easier).

Hope this helps clarify things for you.

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by Zoia and is called "Campanula "

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.