When To Start Seeds For A Green House/cold Frame - Knowledgebase Question

Jackson, NY
Question by Lstruble
December 28, 1999
I acquired an old glass green house single pane its small apx 5'x 8' its cute to look at but I am not having much luck making it work as a green house. I?ve had it for two years and I use it to start flowers & vegetables for my summer garden. The seeds I start are always far behind the garden shops product. They don't seem to catch up until I plant them outside. Should I start my seeds earlier? Last year I started some flowers around March the rest after. I was told not to start my annuals too soon. Should I feed them more? Are they not warm enough? How do I get them ready to put outside by Memorial Day? My dad has much better results with a cold frame. Would I be better off with a cold frame?

December 28, 1999

0

maybe they are better quality than you realize. Sometimes the commercially produced plants are pushed to "bloom in the packs" and in fact are rootbound and stressed by the time they reach you even though they look so big. Their garden performance will reflect that whereas often a slightly smaller yet very healthy plant will do better in the long run -- not to mention you can also select exactly which varieties you want to grow when you start your own. maybe they are better quality than you realize. Sometimes the commercially produced plants are pushed to "bloom in the packs" and in fact are rootbound and stressed by the time they reach you even though they look so big. Their garden performance will reflect that whereas often a slightly smaller yet very healthy plant will do better in the long run -- not to mention you can also select exactly which varieties you want to grow when you start your own.