Asparagus Fern Growing Conditions - Knowledgebase Question

Haverhill, MA
Question by SilverHareWo
December 30, 1999
I purchased an asparagus fern and would like to know the proper growing conditions for it. I had one several years ago and it grew like wild fire, and the one I have now is turning yellow.

December 30, 1999

0

According to Larry Hodgson and the editors of NGA in "Houseplants for Dummies" the asparagus fern requires bright to medium light, average humidity, normal to cool temps, and an all-purpose fertilizer. He recommends immersing the entire rootball in water for 10 minutes, as the roots become so dense that the soil will have difficulty holding any water.

Yellowing leaves can be a sign of many things, including over- and underwatering, too little light, and lack of nitrogen, which promotes green, healthy foliage. If you have not fertilized, you might want to try that.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"