Ladybug Houses - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Andrea Tannenbaum
Long Beach, NY
Question by aatbaum
I am in the process of developing a wildlife habitat in our school courtyard. We have purchased ladybug houses, but are not quite sure about how to best use them. Can you advise?
Are they attached to trees, put into the ground, etc.

0

Groups of ladybugs take shelter in dry crevices, often on the sunny and warm western exposure of a rocky location or even in the walls or attic of a building. They will also shelter in old logs and under groundcovery materials, so I think probably the most important criterion in siting the box is that it be somewhere that rain and snow can't blow into it. You might watch next fall and see if there are any congregating and place it there. They seem to take shelter in the fall and emerge or become active on warmer days, then finally leave in spring. For this reason you may not find any in your box until next fall no matter where you put it. Have fun with your ladybug houses!