Rehanging Grapevines - Knowledgebase Question

Middleton, WI
Question by Merlinglas
I recently bought a house with a few lines of grapevines in the backyard. The support poles are rotting and falling over and the support wires don't look like they'll last much longer.When and how do I cut back the vines, so I can replace the pole and wires? I would like for them to be able to produce again this year or next. I know almost nothing of the care of grapevines.

0

It is good that you are training your grapevines rather than letting them sprawl. This produces a stronger cane and allows for easier maintenance.

Spring is the best time to prune your grapes. The University of Minnesota has a Web site with excellent information on growing and pruning hardy and tender varieties of grapes.The address:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/d...

The site illustrates the four-arm Kniffen system of pruning grapevines (which uses wires and poles). Good luck and enjoy your grapes.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"