Red Tip Petunia's - Knowledgebase Question

Russellville, AR
Question by cindym4
Is there something called a Red Tip Petunia? I am looking for some kind of bush/shrub that gets fairly tall and also blooms in the summer time with pretty blooms. I need something to act as a barrier into my backyard. Any suggestions?

0

You may be thinking of Red Tip or Photinia serrulata. This shrub has red tips on its new growth and is often used for hedging although it is subject to some disease problems. Left untrimmed, this is actually more like a small tree and blooms in spring.

For summer bloom you might prefer Hibiscus syriacus or Rose of Sharon. This shrub blooms for a long period in summer and into fall and is available in a number of shades of pink as well as white and near-blue. It can be trimmed back hard each winter to control its size and keep it dense so it will provide a good barrier.