Cantaloupe Flavors - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Tanya Richardson
Red Bluff, CA
Question by timntan
I love cantaloupe! I really don't like the flavor of watermelon! It seems that so far, any cantaloupe that I have eaten from a garden tastes an awful lot like watermelon! I believe the ambrosia variety is one that tastes this way. Which variety do I need to grow to have the flavor of the store bought cantaloupe (I know! most store bought produce is not even close in quality of flavor, to what you can grow in the garden, but I do prefer the flavor of the store bought cantaloupe). Please help! Is the new specialty melon listed in your most recent catalog (the one that has the flavor of pear and apple) anything like watermelon?

0

Some of the sweetness in hybrid varieties has been bred into the plants because people actually like it. The musky flavor you crave is in the older heirloom cantaloupes.

Try growing Netted Gem, Hale's Best, or Golden Beauty. You can order online at http://www.burpee.com, or phone toll-free (800) 888-1447.