Getting Rid Of Gophers - Knowledgebase Question

Stockton, CA
Question by ardvelt
I recently saw a program that described plants gophers did not like, and they could be planted to help rid your yard of these little pests. Isf this is true, and what are these plants ? A speedy e-mail would be appreciated as l have little yard left!

0

Ahh gophers. The scourge of the West. There are many different deterrents available, such as the ultrasonic device Gopher-it, which send sounds into the ground the gophers don't like. I've heard that Euphorbia lathyrus (gopher spurge) is a repellent plant, and that dropping some castor oil beans or used kitty litter into the holes drives them off. Flooding is another way to get rid of the varmints. Any of these will work temporarily, but the only real way to rid yourself of gophers is to fence them out or trap them out. Make sure the fence is at least 2' below the soil line, curlved outward, and run horizontally at least 2-3 feet away from the garden. For a small garden it's a lot of work, but it's the most practical solution. For larger gardens, trapping is the best method of control.