Are Poinsettias Poisonous - Knowledgebase Question

Orl, FL
Question by kadeblooms
January 10, 2000
Are poinsettias poisonous? And if so, what is the effect?


Image
Answer from NGA
January 10, 2000

0

Medicine considers them to have low toxicity that can irritate the skin, mouth, eyes and stomach of house pets. Pets who nibble on poinsettias, particularly the leaves and stems may exhibit irritation, discomfort, and rash around the mouth and eyes. Nausea and vomiting may occur if sufficient quantities are consumed. Therefore it may be a good idea to keep poinsettias away from curious pets, like cats.

Thanks for the question. Please feel free to stop in again with another question any time we can help! Medicine considers them to have low toxicity that can irritate the skin, mouth, eyes and stomach of house pets. Pets who nibble on poinsettias, particularly the leaves and stems may exhibit irritation, discomfort, and rash around the mouth and eyes. Nausea and vomiting may occur if sufficient quantities are consumed. Therefore it may be a good idea to keep poinsettias away from curious pets, like cats.

Thanks for the question. Please feel free to stop in again with another question any time we can help!

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

Username:

Password:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"