Starting Plants - Knowledgebase Question

Wabash, IN
Question by tmoorman
January 11, 2000
I desire to start my plants in a small plot in the garden where I can build a small protective three sided structure with straw bales. I do not want to put clear plastic over it; but would rather use a blanket type cover that allows light, water and warmth to penetrate the soil. Is there such a cover and if so what is it called and where is it sold?

Answer from NGA
January 11, 2000


These are called by various names such as floating row cover, garden blanket and so on. Often they are laid directly over the plants or are supported by hoops rather than by solid walls, possibly because they offer protection only down to about 28 degrees at the most depending on which fabric you use. Burpee ( or 800-888-1447) offers it.

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:



[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "August Caladiums"