Raising Dried Flowers For Profit - Knowledgebase Question

Bethesda, OH
Question by geolou
My in-laws and husband and I share a 50+ acre farm that was once used for beef cattle and has numerous hayfields. We have since sold the cattle and are looking for some other type of farming that would use the hayfields to make a profit. A friend who works in a local florist shop told our family of the need for someone to raise dried flowers to supply to their shop as well as other local shops for floral arrangements. She suggested static and baby's breathe as two examples.
Okay, this is my question... Can you recommend some other flowers (annual or perennial) or herbs that would be easy to raise and harvest in our growing zone and would be relatively disease free and pest resistent?
If this is possible, where we would buy large quantities of the seeds or plants? Does Burpee sell in bulk?
Thanks for your help!

0

Since you are considering doing this on a commercial scale it would be wise to investigate exactly what is in demand in your area first and then consult with your County Extension (695-1455) as to the best methods of growing it and drying it, or if it is even advisable to try it given your resources and market conditions. They should be able to recommend the varieties best suited to your area as well as help you figure out the most economical methods to use. Best of luck with your new venture!