Balcony Gardening - Knowledgebase Question

Montrose, CA
Question by csoudah
I live in an apartment with a lovely moderately-sized balcony facing full sun all day long. I have had success with mums, morning glories, and geraniums. What else can I plant in a pot and enjoy as much of the year as possible. I'm in southern Calif. where it is fairly dry and sunny all year around, but I'm great with watering and tending to my plants. What about colorful flowers good for cutting and plants that maintain nice foliage even when not flowering? I love blackeye susans, tulips, roses and well, anything.

I'd also love to put in a small tree, maybe a ficus?, to add some shade and beautiful gree foliage, and to cover a less than attractive cement wall. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0

Since you're so attentive to your balcony garden, you can grow any sun-loving annual or perennial. Asters, marguerite daisies, tea roses, zinnias, geraniums, poppies and cosmos would make terrific additions to your garden. Some of the smaller growing patio trees you might consider include vine maple, redbud, Chionanthus (fringe tree), Erythrina (coral tree), dwarf flowering cherry, or crape myrtle.

Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"