Russian Honeysuckle Or One That Winters Well In Alaska? - Knowledgebase Question

Haines, AK
Question by modene
I would like to find a honeysuckle that would winter well in southeast Alaska. We have alot of snow fall and the temp. gets below 0, but doesn't stay there long. I have heard of Russian Honeysuckle but have not seen it in any catalogs.

0

You are in zone 6, with average annual minimum temperatures of -10 to 0 degrees F. In a database search, I couldn't find a listing for a Russian honeysuckle, which points out the problem of common names that vary so much around the country. Here are a few possibilities that are rated for your temperatures, although I don't have firsthand knowledge that they will grow in Alaska.

Lonicera (honeysuckle) brownii. Climbs to 9-10 feet. Bluish-green leaves and scarlet tubular flowers from early summer to frost.

L. fragrantissima (winter honeysuckle). Deciduous shrub. Creamy white flowers fragrant, but not showy.

L. sempervirens (trumpet honeysuckle). Twining vine. Orange-yellow to scarlet flowers in late spring into summer.

I hope one of these will work for you!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"