Artichokes - Knowledgebase Question

San Diego, CA
Question by roundsound
I have been growing artichokes, Imperial Star, during the last year. Most of the plants died because of a heavy storm(rain and wind)The plants that survived are looking nice but are not producing. We are 1.800 meters above sea level, will you please help me.

0

Artichokes are perennial plants in places where there are long, hot summers. Central California leads the way in artichoke production. You can cut back the storm tattered plants and they should produce new foliage. Those plants that have remained healthy will produce flower stalks as soon as the weather gets and stays hot for several months. Since your question comes from San Diego where the climate is mild year around, I'm not sure there will be enough heat in a normal summer to coax your plants into bloom. Provide as much sunshine and warmth as possible, and cross your fingers. With the right climate, your artichoke plants will produce flower stalks.