Acidanthera In Pots - Knowledgebase Question

Okotoks, AB
Question by psipos
Can you please tell me if it is possible to grow acidanthera in a container indoors? If so does it matter when I plant them, and how many to an 8 inch pot? If they don't make good indoor plants, can I plant them say in January in a pot and transfer them outside in May to get a head start on the growing season?( I live in Zone 3)

0

Acidanthera take such a long season to bloom that you probably will need to start them off in a pot indoors but I would wait until April or so because they need lots of light and prefer heat; they need a warm soil and full sun and actually do fairly well grown in a pot all season. I would place a good number of them in the pot about two inches apart so that it looks full when they finally bloom.(They are very narrow upright plants.) It is rather difficult to get these to rebloom in areas where they are not hardy, so I would expect to treat them as an annual when grown so far north.