Annual Suggestion For A Problem Spot - Knowledgebase Question

Hartwick, NY
Question by gward1
I wonder if you have a suggestion for my porch boxes.
I am looking for a climbing annual to plant in a porch box on a back porch.
This area is on the south side of the house, but is in a corner on a porch
in the shade of a white birch tree.
I tried morning glories which did fairly well the first year, but failed to grow after that.
I also tried climbing nasturtiums and they were spindly and didn't climb that well (I
know it was too shady for them.)
This is a very pretty, relaxing spot away from noise and traffic and to have the trellis
full of green foliage and beautiful flowers is a dream come true.
I have no idea what to try next.

0

In my experience the annual vines all need full sun to grow and bloom their best. If you can plant the vine in the ground, or have a very large tub such as a half barrel, you might want to try one of the perennial flowering vines. Sweet autumn clematis, trumpet creeper, and the red-flowered honeysuckles (available from Burpee, www.Burepp.com or 800-888-1447) would all bloom well in partial shade. The honeysuckle in particular blooms over a very long season.